The Andy Griffith Show

About

• Released

• Rating

• Genre

• Comedy

The Andy Griffith Show

Overview

The Andy Griffith Show is an American sitcom first televised on CBS between October 3, 1960 and April 1, 1968. Andy Griffith portrays the widowed sheriff of the fictional small community of Mayberry, North Carolina. His life is complicated by an inept, but well-meaning deputy, Barney Fife, a spinster aunt and housekeeper, Aunt Bee, and a precocious young son, Opie. Local ne'er-do-wells, bumbling pals, and temperamental girlfriends further complicate his life. Andy Griffith stated in a Today Show interview, with respect to the time period of the show: "Well, though we never said it, and though it was shot in the '60s, it had a feeling of the '30s. It was when we were doing it, of a time gone by." The series never placed lower than seventh in the Nielsen ratings and ended its final season at number one. It has been ranked by TV Guide as the 9th-best show in American television history. Though neither Griffith nor the show won awards during its eight-season run, series co-stars Knotts and Bavier accumulated a combined total of six Emmy Awards. The show, a semi-spin-off from an episode of The Danny Thomas Show titled "Danny Meets Andy Griffith", spawned its own spin-off series, Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C., a sequel series, Mayberry R.F.D., and a reunion telemovie, Return to Mayberry. The show's enduring popularity has generated a good deal of show-related merchandise. Reruns currently air on TV Land, and the complete series is available on DVD. All eight seasons are also now available by streaming video services such as Netflix.
More...

Credits

• Andy Griffith
    Andy Griffith
    Sheriff Andy Taylor
  • Don Knotts
    Don Knotts
    Barney Fife
  • Ron Howard
    Ron Howard
    Opie Taylor
  • Frances Bavier
    Frances Bavier
    Aunt Bee Taylor
This product uses the themoviedb.org API.

This in my opinion is one of the old American favorites, a lot of people don't believe television plays a part in the growth of a person. Personally, I disagree, in fact, I believe that television and movies shape who we are in the world we live in; shows like Andy Griffith carried a certain appeal because they taught lessons unfound in todays society; To prove this;

Simply look at todays society and the shows on television today verses the 60s when this show came out.

I would recommend this show  to anyone with children as this show had some morals; while it could be argued it was an all white cast, which could be the only argument in my opinion, this show's benefits out weigh the negatives by far. But to be honest, I care not for the color of an actor as long as the lesson is there to be learned. 

What do you guys think of this show?

----

Interesting fact about the show, while it was extremely popular; the show was caught up in an engineered attempt by the media to discredit the rural areas of America; this period of time in our history was called the 'Rural Purge' when the media took all the shows teaching lessons of old; to make room for the new generation of shows. (A sad time indeed).

• Good One 1